Friday, June 27, 2014

Friends Helping Friends

Over the last month I've had a lot of days where I just haven't even wanted to get out of bed, but staying in bed has not been an option.  For those of you who've been following my family's recent going-ons through facebook, I don't even post 1/4 of the negative things that have been happening and yet the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was all the nice people in my life.  The stress and worry came second.

That's because for every one bad thing happening, two good things show up unexpectedly to remind me I am loved.  I often say how I should have been a homemaker 60 years ago, but that mentality of friends helping friends, neighbors reaching out and people helping a stranger is alive and well in our time today!  Kind words, neighbors dropping off meals, friends and strangers helping however they can.  It's real!  There are good people everywhere wanting to do what they can to help others. 

I try to live my life in a way that at the end of each day I can think back to someone I provided service for.  If I can't think of anyone I feel like my day was wasted just a little bit even if I got a lot accomplished.  Serving others is very important to me.  It's hard for me to be on the receiving end of service, but it's also very good for me.  God wants us not only to provide service for others, He wants us to have the opportunity to be served.  It's a lesson we all need to learn. 

Because I have seen first hand all the good things people do, even if it's "just a hug" (there's no such thing as just a hug), I want this message not to be a reminder to do service, but I want to remind those strong, amazing homemakers out there to let others serve YOU sometimes!  You don't have to be everything all the time.  It's ok to cry, it's ok to let a friend lend a helping hand, it's ok to accept a meal, it's ok to let someone watch your kids or give you a hug if you're having a hard day.    When someone asks, "What can I do to help you?" really think about the question before throwing out the typical "nothing, I'm fine" answer we moms love to give.

By allowing others to serve you, you are allowing them the blessings of service. You are also allowing your family to feel that humbling tug in their heart that only happens when you are served by someone.  I see the amazement in my kids' eyes when someone drops off brownies or brings dinner.  Nina has been incredibly touched when someone bringing spaghetti left the meat out because Nina is a vegetarian or when a neighbor once brought her treats when I had mentioned on facebook she was struggling.  As much as I want my kids to be strong and independent, I also want them to know what it feels like to be served.  Accepting service doesn't make you weak, it helps you grow stronger so that when you're back on your feet you can turn around and do more for others.  It's a beautiful cycle of friends helping friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh Angie, my heart hurts for you with your current family circumstances. But this post is such a great example! I once had a midwife tell me, when we refuse to accept the help others are willing to give us, we cheat them out of their opportunity to serve. It's hard to let em in, but it does us both some good! Good luck…and just keep swimming.
Ash @ sn4g
www.shabbynot4gotten.com

Unknown said...

I wish I lived closer. I would give you a great big hug right now.

American Homemaker said...

Thank you everyone! It's been a rough emotional summer, but I'm starting to get back to myself now.... *hoping for a smooth autumn*