Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rainbow Brite Birthday Party!

Alyssa turned 12 this month!  Not to focus on myself, but HOW DID I GET SO OLD???   Now that she's grown up and gets to attend Young Womens, wear makeup and get a cell phone (which she's already grounded from! haha!) she decided to have a Rainbow Brite birthday party as a kick-back to her childhood... *sigh*  I don't think any of her friends had a clue who Rainbow Brite is, but Alyssa LOVED the party.  She has a thing for brunch parties, so we did a Rainbow Brite brunch.  I thought I better share a few pics!!!


Rainbow Brite stuff is hard to come by these days, but she has two green Sprites!  We did a delicious fruit platter with coconut pecan dip and Rainbow Brite picks for the fruit!


The favors were vintage punch cups I picked up for .50 a piece filled with gumballs from the bulk section at Winco and placed in a cellophane bag.  I got the star ribbon at Michaels for $1.


It has been my DREAM to serve milk in glass bottles with stripey straws!!!  Yeah, I know... my dreams are amazing!   Milk bottles are typically pricey, PLUS you have to pay high shipping costs.  Wanna know my secret???

I found yogurt drinks for $1 each at the Asian grocery store that come in glass milk bottles!  My girls love the drinks and the labels come off easily!  The lids are generic too.  I decided to put Rainbow Brite labels on the milks and attached them with Elmers Glue which washes off afterward.  I think I'm going to keep buying these bottles so slowly I can build up a large collection!


Now I fibbed a bit about my dream being to SERVE milk in glass bottles with stripey straws... I wanted to DRINK milk in a glass bottle with a stripey straw!  And I totally got to do it!  I bought the vintage-style cardboard straws online a while ago and have just been waiting to use them!  The price was great.  The order arrived fast AND they threw in a free gift!  The milk tasted great from the straw too!  Not cardboardy one bit!


I'm not EXACTLY sure why my daughter has blue hair, but she decided she needed blue hair on her birthday... It's Alyssa.  We're never sure why she does what she does.  My sister made the cake.  Didn't it come out cute?



The fatter striped things that look like straws in the sundae cup are actually cookies!  They're another Asian store find.  It was $6.99 for like 100 of them!  They had pink ones and green ones.  I think they'd be fabulous at a wedding reception or baby shower!  They're very fun and old fashioned looking!  Plus they taste great!


I found the rainbow plasticware randomly at an office store in their $1 section!  They worked great for this party!


We had rainbow pancakes for part of our brunch spread.  I divided the pancake batter into three bowls and colored them with food coloring!


Look how great they turned out!  I topped them with buttermilk syrup I dyed red just for fun!  If you've never had buttermilk syrup then it's about time you tried it!  You know we always make homemade syrups and this is one of our faves!

Buttermilk Syrup

1 stick butter
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. sugar

Boil together for about 3-5 minutes in a large saucepan (it will foam up at the end so you need lots of space).

Stir in:

1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Enjoy on pancakes, waffles, french toast, ice cream or a spoon!!!

3 comments:

The Sequin Singer said...

Wow super excited to try the syrup recipe, thanks for sharing. The Rainbow Brite party is a great idea! Used to love Rainbow Brite as a kid, took me back, way back!

Country Cookin' Mama said...

Everything turned out great!! Good job! I had a rainbow brite birthday party when I was 2 or 3 years old! :)

Cindi said...

What a fun & "brite" party! You always have the neatest ideas! Do you remember the name of those straw cookies? I'd love to locate some, and there isn't an Asian store near me. I thought I might be able to find them online if I have the name. Thanks for any info!