Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Breaking Molds


Sometimes the hardest mold to break is the one we put ourselves in.  When we tell ourselves that we aren't good at something, things just don't work out for us, we're too busy or we'll never be more than we are right now, we place ourselves in a little box that we can't escape without conscious effort.  

Placing ourselves into these molds can be very harmful.  It feels nice and safe and cozy in the little mold we've made for ourselves, but there is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone!  

I often hear women play the "someday" game when discussing what they think will bring them happiness...  I'll do more for myself when my kids are older.  I'll be happy when we have a bigger house.  I'll wear cute clothes once I lose weight. I'll be able to do the things I want when we have more money.  I'll travel when I'm retired.  We seem to have this idea in our heads that we are stuck where we are right now and we won't find happiness, peace or satisfaction until some future event occurs.  We may be "stuck" in the fact that our kids are the age that they are, our house is the size it is and our financial situation is what it is, but there ARE things we can do within our situation to become fulfilled and it's up to us to figure out what those things are.  If you can't find happiness in your situation now, you never will. 

You need to climb out of the mold you've put yourself in!  You are your only obstacle when breaking free and finding happiness.  Take a class to learn something new, buy that adorable outfit in your size, make a new friend, develop a skill or talent or start putting money away for a vacation!  Whatever it that you dream of in your hidden little heart of hearts can happen.  We need to let go of the negative mentalities holding us back and create happiness for ourselves right now!  No one can do it for us! 

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my life outside being a wife and mother, which of course will always be my top priority.  Over the last couple of years I've developed a fear of failure that has been holding me hostage in a lot of ways.  Finding happiness and satisfaction in my life, as it is, has pushed me to decide it's time for me to break completely free of the safe mold I've created for myself and stretch my wings even further.  Who knows?  I might even fly!
   

No comments: