Thursday, December 31, 2015

2016, Here I Come!


It's New Year's Eve!  I've been pondering on my goals and my word for 2016 all week.  I've decided my word of the year will be MAGIC!  I want to make magic, witness magic and experience magic in 2016.  It's going to be a magical year!

I feel like there are so many parts of my life I want to improve on this year, but I don't want to set myself up for failure by setting too many lofty goals so I've decided to pick one goal in seven different areas of my life to work on this year:

Spiritual-  Spiritual comes first on my list because God is number one in my life.  My spiritual goal for 2016 is to attend the temple at least four times during the year.  I love the peace and clarity that comes from temple attendance.  I'd like to say I'm going to attend weekly or even monthly, but realistically I'll be doing good to make it every few months, so that's the plan. 

Physical-  My physical goal is to lose 20 pounds.  I've put on 20 pounds over the last couple of years, on top of already having been overweight, and after some serious concern expressed by my doctor I've decided I need to get serious about getting healthy.  I'm hoping by losing 20 pounds I'll also lower my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels.  My husband is working on losing weight too, so this is something we will be doing together.  Go team!

Intellectual-  My intellectual goal for the year is to possibly start school this fall.  "Possibly" is pretty weak, but although going to school is part of my plan for the year, I have to be open to the possibility that it won't happen due to my husband's health and my taking care of him.  I've been kicking around the idea of going to a two year culinary arts school, but I've also considered doing something more serious, like psychology or public relations, which would allow me to do online school, if necessary.   A big dream of mine is to go to school to learn herbal medicine, but I don't know if the VA's education benefits would cover something like that.  The bottom line is there's a very good chance I'll be starting school this year, but I'm not sure how, where or for what yet!

Emotional-  My emotional goal for 2016 is to finish the book I've been writing.  It's extremely therapeutic to write out my feelings and experiences about my life as a caregiver to a disabled veteran.  My target audience will be other caregivers of veterans with PTSD, psychosis, depression, anxiety, etc.  It's amazing when you spend time with other people dealing with the same challenges you are and see their eyes light up when they realize they are not alone in their trials.  I'm hoping this book can do that as well.  I'm planning for it to be a quick and easy read because caregivers don't usually have a lot of time for themselves.  Getting everything out on paper is a great emotional release for me!

Social-  My social life has truly suffered this past year.  While I've made great connections with other caregivers through support groups, online groups and Wounded Warrior Project activities, my day to day social life has been almost non-existent!  My social goal for the year is to invite friends over to my house at least once a month.  Tea parties, game nights, lunches and potlucks are all in my plan for 2016.  I'm hoping by hosting events once again people will remember I'm here and I will start getting invitations once again for social outings.  I miss my friends!

Financial-   My financial goal for 2016 is to pay off my van and refinance our house into a 15 year mortgage.   My long-term goal it to put the monthly van payment money towards our mortgage to actually pay down the 15 year loan in 12!   How exciting would that be?

Adventure-  It wouldn't be a New Year's resolution list for me without a travel goal!  My goal is once again to visit at least one state I've never been to before!  We're also seriously considering a trip to Costa Rica this summer to visit all the Costa Rican family members I've never met!  That would be an adventure for sure... I don't speak spanish and my family members don't speak english!

What about you?  Have you made any goals for the new year?

No comments: