Sunday, September 13, 2015

Am I Still a Writer?

Am I still a writer?  This question has plagued me the last couple of weeks.  I used to refer to myself as a writer, but I rarely take the time to write anymore.


A couple of weeks ago I helped my husband write a talk for sacrament meeting.  He jotted down the gist of what he wanted to say on notepaper and I put it together, added in quotes and scriptures and just made it flow... So many people commented on how well written his talk was and although he really gets credit because he did an AMAZING job, and I promise I'll share the talk with you soon, it got me thinking about writing again.  I really enjoyed helping him take the message he wanted to share, use his words combined with my talent and make it into something fabulous.

I was in a group support meeting for caregivers on Saturday and the therapist referred to me as a writer and I asked myself the question, Am I still a writer?  I love writing, helping my husband with his talk reminded me of that.  I want to consider myself a writer, but to be a writer don't I need to actually write something?


It's been an interesting year.  I am happier than I've ever been.  I love being married to my best friend, but there are also many challenges that come with being a full time caregiver to a disabled veteran.  One of the things that constantly gets drilled into the heads of caregivers is to make the time to take care of yourself.  Writing is therapeutic for me, so I've decided I need to make it a priority again!

Last week in church my husband started nudging me and telling me I should go up and bear my testimony and I said, "I don't have anything to say."  He snorted and responded, "That would be a first!"  He's right.  I do always have something to say.

On this blog I have recipes and craft ideas to share.  I have vintage finds to show and tell.  I have parenting stories, caregiver stories, ptsd stories and testimonies to bear.  I have women to connect with and friendships to make and strengthen.  I AM a writer!  I don't want to lose that part of me so I'm here to publicly say...   I'm blowing the dust off this old blog and putting it to regular use again, not because I feel guilty about it or because people are asking me to, but because when people ask me what I do I want to be able to say once again, I'm a writer!

No comments: