Monday, August 29, 2011

Homemade Finger Paints


 What possesses someone to willingly let small children paint with their hands?  It's either craziness or a love for the excitement you see in children's eyes... I haven't decided which!

I promised Sadie I'd let her finger paint as soon as her mom sent a "painting shirt" with her so we didn't ruin her clothes.  A couple days later she was set with her shirt.  All day she kept asking, "Can we finger print now?"  And every time I'd say, "Finger PAINT".  But she never caught on to the difference! haha

 This is the easiest recipe and kids love it.  It makes quite a bit of paint, so I only dish out half and put the other half in the fridge for another day.  It's really inexpensive and fast time make.

Homemade Finger Paints

2 cups cold water
1/2 c. corn starch

Mix water and corn starch together in a small sauce pan over high heat.  Bring to a boil whisking the entire time.  When it thickens remove from heat and let cool.  Divide into small dishes and add food coloring into each.  Once totally cool the paint is ready!  If it's been stored in the fridge you may need to warm it up just a bit to make it usable.



5 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Very fun idea!

Madison Rose Vintage said...

Good idea to make finger paints! I always spend way too much money at the store for paint for the kiddos. I will have to try this tomorrow. My kiddos love to paint. :)

Arya said...

oh how cool!! I am soo using this with my kids and I bet it's easier to clean up too...

Little Ol' Liz said...

Dollar Store Crafts sent me ---- I really like that these paints aren't runny. Great job and I can't wait to use your "recipe."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! We'll be using it this winter. I also used it in a blog post I just did about indoor activities for toddlers with a link to it. Thanks again!!