Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cranberry Cheese Ball


I love cheese balls. They're a simple and easy appetizer (only five ingredients!) and people just gobble them up.  I wanted to do something different and special so, I added cranberries!  It was so delicious!

Cranberry Cheese Ball

2 pkg cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand, 1/3 lower fat)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
few drops liquid smoke
2 c. shredded cheese (cheddar or colby-jack)
dried cranberries

Soften the cream cheese.  Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke together.  Add shredded cheese and mix well.  Use a rubber spatula to scrape the cheese mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap.  Use the wrap to smash the mixture into a ball without getting your hands messy.  Place cranberries on a plate.  Pull the plastic wrap off the cheese ball and roll in cranberries, pushing the berries into the mixture until it's all coated.  Wrap in a new piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.

prepping the platter

waiting patiently

My favorite crackers are Wheat Thins... I use the lower fat version.  I always do Ritz Crackers or "circle crackers" as my kids call them, as well... just because they're so kid friendly.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yum, I absolutely love cheese balls! This looks so yummy and festive.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That looks delicious!
I will be giving that one a try!!!
YUM!

Anne said...

Looks good! I love cheese!

Anonymous said...

I love cheese balls.

Sometimes I add a little sour cream so I can dip chips or crackers or vegetables in it without having to spread. (Because I am incredibly lazy.)