Thursday, November 18, 2010

Homemade Mini Pop-Tarts and Eggnog Punch

We love Pop-Tarts at our house.  (I soooo shouldn't admit that!)  I had some store bought pie crust in my freezer and decided to whip up some Pop-Tarts.  My kids absolutely loved them!  All three kids said they were much better than the store bought stuff.


First, make your crust into a square.  If you were super good at making homemade pie crust (unlike me!) you could just roll the crust into a square.


I made mini Pop-Tarts, so I cut the crust into small squares.  You can piece together the rounded edged you cut off the crust too to make a few extras.


I used my Tomato Pineapple Jam for the filling, but any jam, jelly or fruit butter would work.  Caleb requested Root Beer Jelly for our next batch.  I'll be sure to let you know how those ones turn out! Spread just a bit of jam onto a pie crust square, use your finger dipped in water to spread water on the crust around the jam, place another square on top and then use a fork to seal them together.


Place 2 Tablespoons of powdered sugar in a bowl and add just a bit of milk to make a glaze.  I added a drop of food coloring just for fun.  Use a pastry brush to spread the glaze onto the little Pop-Tarts and add just a few sprinkles.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until done.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  They would freeze well too! Yum!

  
This is our favorite holiday punch!  I usually serve it at holiday brunches or dinners.  I've been making it for years.

Eggnog Punch

2 qt vanilla ice cream
8 c chilled eggnog
1 lt cream soda, chilled
Ground cinnamon

Place ice cream in a large punch bowl. Add half the eggnog. Stir and mash mixture using a potato masher until ice cream is melted and mixture is well combined. Stir in remaining eggnog. Slowly pour in cream soda, stirring to combine. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Those pop tarts look amazing; I might try that!

Angie do you take requests? Living overseas, it is nearly impossible to get egg nog. Even in England, I couldn't find it anywhere. I Googled recipes, but they all just seemed really complicated, and when I did make a batch, it was so rich it made us sick. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I love pop tarts and this is super easy..I bet my sister would love this recipe..and I have to try the egg nog punch..I just purchased my first egg nog for the season..and it was divine.;)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are ingenious!
I love the flowers.
Pop Tarts? Who'd a thunkit!
You are amazing.

Devon said...

how creative to make your own pop tarts! i might just have to give it a whirl!