Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pioneer Cabbage Soup & Soda Bread

We made this yummy soup for St. Patty's Day this year, but we will also use it as a simple pioneer dinner. We LOVE having pioneer themed meals (yes, we know we're odd). I made the soup in a crockpot, but for more authenticity it could also be made on the stove top. All three of my kids GOBBLED this soup up and had seconds... even Caleb who doesn't like bacon ate heartily. I was worried about the salt pork since it's mostly just fat, but it almost dissolved into the soup and was fabulous! The Irish Soda Bread is a favorite of my kids.



Cabbage Soup

1 pkg salt pork (1/2-1 lb, I'm sure bacon would work too)
carrots
potatoes
cabbage
water

Cut the salt pork into small pieces. Brown the pork in a frying pan. Place in a crockpot (drippings and all) with diced potatoes and sliced carrots. Add enough water to cover. Cook on low all day. 30 minutes before serving stir in diced cabbage and add more water if needed. I added another two cups.


Irish Soda Bread

4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 to 1 ½ c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425. Mix together dry ingredients. Gradually add buttermilk, mixing with a large spoon until dough is firm enough to be gathered into a large ball. If the dough is crumbly, add some more buttermilk, a tablespoonful at a time, until it all adheres to the ball. Place on a lightly floured board. Pat and shape it into a flat circular loaf, about 8 inches around and 1 ½ inches thick. Set on a floured baking sheet. With the tip of a knife, cut a ½ inch deep cross into the dough, dividing it into quarters. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and wrap in a clean dish cloth. Let cool about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

That looks so good! Especially on a rainy day like it is here today!

Anonymous said...

I love cabbage. I acutally make a soup very similar but I add leftover chicken breast that I have baked and dice it up and add that. but I bet the bacon would be good. I am a bacon girl. :)

I have always wanted to make soda bread. hmmm, one day.