Saturday, July 25, 2009

Two Kinds of Homemaker Syrup

I never buy syrup anymore... I don't see any need for it when I can make it yummier and cheaper myself. We LOVE homemade syrup. Maple is of course our favorite, but vanilla is also delicious. Vanilla syrup is a great last minute topping when you're out of regular syrup. Store homemade syrup in the fridge. I found my glass handy-dandy syrup bottles at a thrift store for .75 each. They're salad dressing bottles and have a great pour-top.

Maple Syrup

1 c. water
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp maple flavoring extract

Mix together and boil about 2 minutes.

Vanilla Syrup

1 c. sugar (white or brown or both)
1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp real vanilla

Mix sugar and water. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy. I tried to make syrup and it flopped. But these recipes seem better than what I tried. I am so having The American Homemaker Blog withdrawls.

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

YAY!! I have always wanted to make my own syrup. I am so excited. You know you can also email me, or facebook me if you need anything! Thanks for coming back!

Sonya said...

Im real sorry about what you are going through at this time. I am sending big hugs all the way from the netherlands to you and the kids.

Thanks for the awesome recipes! I cant always find maple syrup here and it's neat to know I can just make it myself now!

Stephanie said...

I make that same maple syrup, it's the same that my mom always made while I was growing up! So delicious. The vanilla syrup looks good too, I'll have to give that one a try.

I'm sooo sorry to hear about your separation. You're in my thoughts.

The French Bear said...

Oh sweetie, that's a tough one....
I went through that after 25 years.... it isn't a great time...
I'm here if you need some one to listen....
Take care hon,
Margaret B

Jana said...

I am so sorry! :'(

Momzoo said...

I am going to have to try the vanilla, we have been making the brown sugar for a while and LOVE it! The vanilla sounds wonderful.

Ann said...

Take care of yourself.

And thanks for the syrup recipes. My mother always made the maple syrup one but she never has been able to give me the amounts. She always forgets when she's making it to measure. Typical country cook. And of course mine never tastes as good as her's anyway.

Nikki said...

I've been going through AH withdrawals too!

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, I know it must be hard for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you ~

Anonymous said...

I remember my mom making
home mad syrup.
Today is my daughters 30birthday AND she lives in Utah also

Pamela in OH