Wednesday, March 9, 2016

St. Patty's Day Tablescape and Irish Dinner


We have never done leprechaun traps or other kidsy St. Patrick's Day traditions at our house, but every year I make an Irish meal and some sort of green dessert to celebrate the holiday. Instead of doing corned beef, I typically do pork and I always make Irish soda bread!







Irish Bacon and Cabbage

boneless pork roast
red potatoes
carrots
cabbage
salt

The night before cooking, place the roast into a big bowl of cold water and add lots of salt... about a cupful. Let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning, place the drained meat in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots. Add a bit of water. Let cook on low all day. 30 minutes before serving add the cabbage, cut into chunks.

Irish Soda Bread

4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 to 1 ½ c buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425. Mix together dry ingredients. Gradually add buttermilk, mixing with a large spoon until dough is firm enough to be gathered into a large ball. If the dough is crumbly, add some more buttermilk, a tablespoonful at a time, until it all adheres to the ball. Place on a lightly floured board. Pat and shape it into a flat circular loaf, about 8 inches around and 1 ½ inches thick. Set on a floured baking sheet. With the tip of a knife, cut a ½ inch deep cross into the dough, dividing it into quarters. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and wrap in a clean dish cloth. Let cool about 20 minutes.

Of course in an LDS home we have root beer with our St. Patty's Day dinner!


Happy St. Patty's Day!

25 comments:

Karalee said...

Cute Angie!
I've been wondering. Where the heck do you keep all of your "stuff?" You have more dishes than anyone I know. Where do you stash it all when you're not using it? Seriously. I SO want to be you, but I look around my cracker-box kitchen and can't imagine where I would put one single other dish. Or plate.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

What a beautiful table! Love the plates and the fact that they are mismatched...

Anonymous said...

Yummy, mama! I'd made Irish potatoes (candy, Philadelphia tradition) yesterday for Ed's work guys and then forgot that today was even the big green holiday, LOL! Tired/frazzles/gone-mostly-crazy mommy brain, of course. :o)

Your dinner looks delish and your table so pretty! I see those deviled eggs. ;o) My weakness!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! :)

Kimmie said...

I love your table setting....gorgeous flowers and dishes!!

What a fun mom and wife you are...Your kids are going to grow up with fond memories of "special dinners"!!

You have a really fun "style"!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Saint Patty's table and meal!!

CB said...

Your table looks absolutely beautiful! I really appreciate a finely set table :D

I am not really a fan of Irish food, especially Corned Beef but I looked at your recipes and they sounded rather tasty. Might change my mind!!

OK is that your daughter eating cabbage leaves in the post above?? Hilarious :D

karen★ said...

cute cute table settings!! makes me wish i had been there. i completely understand the root beer for LDS homes...it's just better that way!

Dacia said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This looks like a fun St. Pattys dinner.

Kathy said...

Happy St Patrick's day, pretty tablescape your dishes are beautiful. Kathy.

Deb said...

Very pretty! and the food looks great! Deb

Angela said...

Oh, and BTW you are SO going straight to my links list and sidebar! Just LOVE you!!

xinex said...

Sure looks good, both tablescape and food!...Christine

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

The table looks great! and the food sounds yummy!

Me said...

Oh, looks absolutely yummy, Angie. You amaze me with all you get done. Tell me the truth, you're the REAL Molly Mormon, aren't you? ;)

Simones Kitchen said...

Love your plates and love the table setting!

Candy said...

Perfect Irish table with all the fixings!
Cheers, Candy

Unknown said...

Everything looks great for a fun St. Paddy's day dinner!

Chandy said...

What a beautiful table! Great addition for today! I posted about my VERY FIRST St. Pat's table!

I love the colors you put together! Happy Thursday to you!

Decor To Adore said...

What a cute tablescape!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Cute St. Pat's table, and the food looks fantastic, too! Cass

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a beautiful tablescape and the menu looks oh so delicious. Hugs, Marty

JudyBug said...

What a cute table! Everything looks both lovely and deleesh!

JudyBug

joyh82 said...

Beautiful china and those deviled eggs look yummy!

Lady Katherine said...

I take one of those deviled eggs, the wire basket, the green dishes are wonderful! The food looks yummy! But I still want an egg! lol