Sunday, February 22, 2009

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

I'm not really a fan of Hershey's Syrup... Never have been. And then I came across a recipe for chocolate syrup and I figured I could probably make better syrup than Hershey's...  Mmmm.... I did a little research and it looks like most chocolate syrup recipes are pretty much the same. Here's my contribution to the chocolate syrup recipe world

Chocolate Syrup

1 c. cocoa
1 1/2 c. sugar
dash salt
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c corn syrup

Whisk dry ingredients together in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring to a boil whisking constantly. Boil for five minutes whisking the whole time. This mixture kept wanting to boil over. I had a hard time keeping it at a temperature where it would boil, but not boil over. It definitely needs whisking the whole time it cooks. Once the five minutes is up, remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and corn syrup. Let cool. Store in the fridge.

This recipe made a pint jar's worth, plus enough for a lovely glass of hot cocoa.



Hot Cocoa

Stir 2-3 TBSP chocolate syrup into a cup of warm milk.

And a there was a quarter-cupful of syrup left to add to some pancakes :)


Chocolate Syrup Pancakes

1 1/4 c. pancake mix
1/4 c. chocolate syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
water

Stir together pancake mix, chocolate syrup and cinnamon. Add enough water to make your batter the thickness you prefer for pancakes. Cook as you would regular pancakes. These aren't as sweet as you'd think, they just have a nice flavor to them. I made this batch to go in my freezer for a last minute breakfast.

13 comments:

Me said...

Lovely, Angie--simply lovely! :) Happy Sabbath.

janie said...

yayy! I can't wait to try all of this!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Hi Angie. I love the chocolate syrup recipe! And I the pancakes sound wonderful. I've never had chocolate pancakes! Yum!

Leslie said...

isn't chocolate syrup great!! you are never too old for it and it always is tasty! i like your pancake idea. We have just been using it in cold milk or on ice cream

Lois Christensen said...

Oh how delicious!!!! Just what I need today on this very cold, windy day...some hot chocolate!! Thanks, never, ever thought to make my own!

Nikki said...

Yummy! I can't believe you made your own chocolate sauce, you are so talented!

Anonymous said...

I will seriously have to try this!

Shaina said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!! I read down on your advice for freezer meals. I couldn't agree more. I'm a bit fanatical about freezer meals, or just prepping for meals in general.
By the way, that chocolate sauce looks amazing. Did the jar seal itself or do you need to keep it in the fridge?

American Homemaker said...

The jar did seal itself, but it still needs to go in the fridge :)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

What a great idea of a recipe! And it would be a nice gift too.
Thanks for posting my button!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! Chocolate is my favorite!! :D Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

I have made my own choc. sryup and it works great. Thanks for sharing.

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Mmmm--that sounds so good! I must try this, my kiddos LOVE chocolate syrup.