Friday, September 26, 2008

Bison Burgers & Pistachio Salad



I LOVE the Sunflower Farmer's Market. We've only had it in the area for a couple of weeks, but I shop there every Wednesday (double ad day). This past Wednesday they happened to have bison burger for $3.99/lb and feta cheese for $1.50 a package. These are two items I never buy but we like to try new things around our house. The only time we've had bison was when we went to the grand Tetons on vacation. I randomly decided to make Buffalo Spinach Feta Burgers. Now as you can imagine, there aren't a whole lot of recipes floating around for this combo (not like I'd actually follow it anyways) so I came up with my own. The Pistachio Salad recipe is also my own. The regular pistachio salad recipes are too sweet for me. I think it's because of the pudding dissolved in the pineapple. But... anyways... Here are my recipes.

Buffalo Spinach Feta Burgers (it's more fun if we call them buffalo)

1 lb ground bison
1/2 c chopped fresh spinach
4 oz garlic herb feta
1 egg

Mix together, form patties and fry on the grill or on the stove. We served ours with ketchup on whole wheat buns w/ sweet potato fries on the side.

Pistachio Salad

1 pkg pistachio pudding
1/2 c milk
11 oz can of mandarin oranges, drained
1 large banana, sliced
1/4 c coconut
1 carton extra creamy cool whip

Whisk the dry pudding and milk together. Stir in the fruit and coconut. Fold in the cool whip.
1 carton extra creamy cool whip. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

My hubby and I love pistachio salad. You can tell by the faces of the kids which one LOVES it and which two think I'm poisoning them when I require them to eat a small serving.



POISON

POISON

YUM!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog..WOW...I visit your pink saturday...haven't comment on your pink saturday..I will do after I get through here. The meal looks delicious...Cute pictures..LOL Have a wonderfulday Katherinellen

Anonymous said...

Bison burgers! My son went on trek and had bison meat for the fist time this summer. After wards I went looking for bison meat only to be told by many butchers that they don't carry it. We are in AF, where is this store? I can't wait to share with him that you found some. I am going to try your recipe. Love your blog. Added you on one of my blogs...www.hometimewithjeeny.blogspot.com