Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars aka: sugar cookies are a pain but I still like to eat them


I love sugar cookies! I have to say that I make some pretty dang good ones too!... but only at Christmastime.  They're a big pain to refrigerate, roll out, cut with cookie cutters and such.  In my opinion all cookies are a pain compared to anything you can just toss in a pan and bake up, so cookie bars are often my friend. 

These cookie bars are fabulous!  They taste like big, FAT sugar cookies.  They whip up quickly and make an easy treat to haul to a Halloween party, Christmas party or just to serve as dessert with hot cocoa.  I'm actually eating one right now at 9am with a cup of Pero.  Nutmeg is always the secret ingredient in my sugar cookies, so don't forget the nutmeg!  You can dress these babies up for any holiday with sprinkles, chocolate chips, candy corn, red hots or anything else you would top a sugar cookie with.

Sugar Cookie Bars

1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.  Add flour, salt and baking soda and mix just until combined.

Spread on a greased, cookie sheet or other large bar pan (bigger than 9x13).  Dough will be thick. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.  The larger your pan/thinner the dough is spread the less time it will need.  Cool and frost.

Basic Frosting

1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened
1/4 c. milk or orange juice
2 tsp vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar
food coloring, if desired

Combine all ingredients with an electric mixer until it looks like frosting. Spread on top of bars. Top with sprinkles and candy corn if desired while frosting is still wet.


5 comments:

Valerie said...

I love a good sugar cookie! The sugar cookie bars are yummy!!! (My favorite though are from Dippidee...wish I still lived close by!)

pattygardner.com said...

I have never heard of sugar cookie bars but I definitely LOVE eating sugar cookies but HATE making them. I'll have to give this recipe a try.

mamajuliana said...

Thanks for the 'bar' idea! I love 'em too, but hate all the work. My husband will thank you too...

Bobbi said...

I have become very busy, and sugar cookies, while a favorite, have not been on the menu for quite a while - now they'll be back on the menu! Thank you!

Carmen S. said...

they look delicious:P thanks for sharing the recipe and have a wonderful day!