Thursday, July 15, 2010

Old Fashioned One Egg Cake w/ Chocolate Fudge Frosting


These recipes came from the 1918 edition of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I'm guessing the recipes themselves are quite a bit older than 1918. I posted this recipe a couple of years ago, but thought it would be fitting to repost it for my pioneer recipes this month. It's a heavier cake than what we're used to, like most old fashioned or pioneer cake recipes.

One Egg Cake

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Cream the butter, add sugar gradually add the egg, well beaten. Mix flour and baking powder, add alternating with milk to first mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes in a round cake pan. Spread with Chocolate Frosting.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup unsweetened powdered cocoa
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Few grains salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter, add cocoa, sugar, salt and milk. Heat to boiling-point, and boil about eight minutes. Remove from fire and beat until creamy. Add vanilla and pour over cake.




2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love old fashioned cakes. There's just something so fun about making a cake the same way that they did in the 18th or early 19th century. Love the vintage-style picture of you with your apron and cake, looking all homemakerish!

AHM said...

I made this cake for a tea party 30 years ago. Instead of frosting it, I covered the top with blueberries and dusted it with regular sugar before I baked it and...Oh my Goodness. I also baked it in a 9x9 metal square pan. I have searched for an old Fannie Farmer for years to no avail...thank you for the post.