Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Shepherd's Pie


I grew up hearing that shepherd's pie was the most horrible, disgusting food ever invented. My mom had a hatred for shepherd's pie that she drilled into us from the time we were itty-bitty.

The first time I tried it was when I spent the summer as a cook at a day care a few years ago. I cooked daily for 40-70 kids. I made shepherd's pie and was traumatized at the thought. I tasted it and fell in love! My kids aren't huge fans, but this has turned into such a comfort food for me... and Sunday I needed comfort!

Shepherd's Pie

1 lb hamburger, browned and drained
1-2 cans green beans, drained
1-2 cans tomato soup
mashed potatoes
cheese

Mix together hamburger, green beans and soup in a baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with lots of cheese. Bake at 350 until hot.

11 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I use browned hamburger, canned corn, and mashed potato...no cheese.
I don't really like it but my kids do.

Jana said...

Sigh... perfectly intact delicious shepherd's pie.... :')

Cindi said...

Funny...because this is what we had for dinner tonight! I make it exactly the same way you do. I never had it until collage, and one of my roommates made it. Forget the recipes that have you adding corn or peas & carrots....this is the only way to go!! I wonder why your Mom hated it so much? Maybe she had the peas & carrots version! ;)

~..kass..~ said...

yum! I have always loved it!

Miss Mandee said...

I LOVE shepherd's pie! I make it like you only I add corn, I like corn! :) My mom used to make it with chili instead of tomato soup and no veggies and that is pretty good too, but this on is way better! Oh and I always make sure there is TONS of cheese! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love that Pyrex pattern. I have a mixing bowl and a round refrigerator dish that match. :)

Shepherd's pie? Not so much. lol.

Debs said...

we LOVE sheppards pie in our house. my kids would have it every day if i let them!! lol

yours is looking so delish tho....i need to sample it methinks!! lol

xx

Jenny said...

I grew up with the same things being said. I finally had it for the first time at a pot luck dinner. I was in love with it. I now make it in the winter!

prashant said...

delicious shepherd's pie
Contextual Ad Network India

luvsclassics said...

Delicious! I made the vegan version using lentils instead of ground beef , yesterday.

Kathy said...

We enjoy shepherd's pie around here...but I make it with 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1/2 can of milk. Def a comfort food.