Thursday, October 29, 2009

Homemade Kettle Corn

Kettle corn is one of those things that smells SO yummy when you're at a fair or the zoo, but is usually too pricey to actually purchase. I know a secret about kettle corn though...

It's one of the easiest and cheapest treats you can make! I was given a hand-crank stove top popcorn popper by a friend a few years ago and fell in love with kettle corn. It's a reasonably healthy snack too.

You can purchase the popcorn poppers in brand new shape at thrift stores quite often for around $5 or they're around $20 new. The gears on mine wore out after about 4 years and it cost me $20 for a new popper at Target. It is well worth it!



Kettle Corn

1/2 c. popcorn kernels
1/4 c. oil
1/3 c. sugar (I sometimes use brown, but don't like it as much)

Place all three ingredients in the popper and cook over medium heat stirring the crank the whole time until done. It takes a couple of minutes to start popping, but once it does it pops fast. Have a big bowl ready! As soon as the popcorn reaches the top and the crank doesn't turn anymore pull it off the heat and pour it directly into the bowl so it doesn't burn. Salt while still hot so the salt will stick. Stir and let cool. The salty sweetness of kettle corn is so addicting! Enjoy!



5 comments:

stefanie said...

thank you!!! i am going to try this!

Peanut-Butter Kitty said...

I've seen those "poppers" at the junk store but didn't know what they were. Thanks, I be on the look out for one.

Heather said...

Kettle Corn is my absolute favorite, thanks so much for sharing this! I have often wondered if those crank style poppers were any good, and now I know! I am definitely going to have to get one!

mamajuliana said...

We found our stove top popper at the local rescue mission store. I have never thought of making Kettle corn in it though...(you are right, it is usually so pricey at fairs.)

I copied your recipe into Word and it is printing now. I always find the neatest recipes and ideas at your blog. Thanks for blogging!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are ambitious! Making treats like that for trick-or-treaters!
I didn't know it was so easy to do, we'll be trying this one out.