Friday, October 10, 2008

Canning Apple Butter with No Added Sugar



Apple butter is easy to make overnight in your crockpot AND you can make it with no added sugar!

Slice and peel enough apples to fill up your crockpot.

Add about 3 cups of juice and a couple tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice.

Using a knife, chop up the apples in your crockpot. As it condenses them down, add more, chopping until it looks nice and full like this:

Set your crockpot to low and leave overnight.  In the morning it should be nice and browned and smell delicious!  Turn your crockpot to high and crack the lid a bit.  Cook for 5-7 more hours.


Using an immersion blender or a regular blender blend until smooth.  Take the lid off and leave on high while preparing your canning equipment.

You should get around 9 half-pints of apple butter with no added sugar!  It makes a great gift.


You can also can pears in unsweetened apple juice instead of syrup!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

You did a great job! I wish I was on your Christmas list! That looks so yummy I think I will have to make some. Where did you get the apples for that cheap? I thought that it was good that they are about $1 lb.

Heather said...

wow, everything looks so yummy! i had to keep wiping the drool off my face while i was reading the description of each picture and looking at the apples in the crock pot, LOL.

Stephanie said...

That looks great! I really need to make some crock pot apple butter - I keep seeing it on all these blogs, and it always looks so good!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Very goo for you! - I canned this week to and did a post - check it out at Bernideen's TeaTime Blog -
http:/bernideen.wordpress.com/
I am impressed!

Carla said...

Thank you for a no sugar added recipe! I want to can, but, like you, don't want all the sugar. I'd feel pretty Suzy Homemaker in an apron, surrounded by yummy fruit, and beautiful jars too!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

YUM! Yum, yum, yum - I can't say it enough, LOL! I love canned fruit, and yours looks not only delicious but beautiful (what is it about mason jars that is so pretty?).

And anything done in an apron...heaven!

Margie said...

Wow! I didn't know you could make apple butter like that! I think even I could manage to make it that way! This is probably a really dumb question but, I wonder could you freeze it instead of canning it? And where did you find apples for that price? I've been paying $1.99/lb for a long, long time, and we eat ALOT of apples. I usually spend about $15/week on them. I would have thought the price would have come down by now this time of year!

Have a lovely week!
Margie

American Homemaker said...

You can actually freeze apple butter just fine. I usually only make freezer items. I freeze lots of stuff :) I just canned these to use as gifts. I've been buying most of my produce at the Sunflower Farmer's Market that opened in our area a few weeks ago. They have a few locations around the country with more coming. I love them. They have great sales and their produce and meats are so pretty and yummy.

Flo Nightingale said...

Found this a year after you posted. My question--are you doing the first round of cooking without the crock pot top on?

Kari H. said...

I have never made apple butter and am a new canner :)
How long do the pints of apple butter need to process?

Thank you,
Kari