Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Amazing Jello Salad Recipe and the Joy of Jello

I love old jello recipes!  I own multiple copies of the vintage Joy of Jello Cookbook.  It's so fun to pour over the pages checking out the jellos and laughing at the more traumatizing ones.








Look at the flavors of Jello in this ad... Celery, Mixed Vegetable, Seasoned Tomato and Italian Salad.  So many vintage jello salad recipes have odd ingredients... horseradish, celery, cabbage, radish.  No thanks!


I live in Utah. Utah is known as the Jello capital of the world. The funny thing is, for all the green jello people claim us Utah folks eat, I have never made green jello.

I threw a baby shower for a friend of mine years ago. She's from Mississippi. We played the "I never" game and she thought she had a good one when she said I've never made green jello with carrots. She figured all the Utah moms had made green jello with carrots because it's a total Utah Mormon stereotype. Of the 15 or so there, not one person had made green jello with carrots.

I think green jello in Utah was more from our mothers' and grandmothers' day. Now, that being said, people in Utah do eat a LOT of jello... and we eat it with our meals, not as dessert. I recently went to a church barbecue and there was a whole table of jello salads. It's definitely a cultural thing here. Here's a recipe for one of my favorite jello salads.

OVERNIGHT FRUIT SALAD
This is a recipe I’ve been using for many years.

1 small pkg vanilla pudding (not instant)
1 small pkg orange jello
12 oz carton of cool whip (extra creamy, if possible)
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
2-3 bananas, sliced

Cook pudding according to package directions using water instead of milk. Add the dry jello powder and boil until dissolved. Cover and let set overnight. In the morning, whip jello-pudding mixture and cool whip in a large bowl together. Fold in fruit. Let chill.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

That looks so yummy! Your fruit salad, not necessarily all those strange old Jell-O recipes. Horseradish? I don't even eat that in its normal uses, let along in a Jell-O salad! lol

Dianna said...

Once I was reading an old church cookbook from my grandparents' church (not Mormon and not in Utah). I said, "Gross, look at this recipe that calls for tomato soup, mayonnaise, and lemon jello!" . . . and then I realized that it was my grandmother who had submitted it.

Jeanette said...

I have a great disdain for Jell-O salad. Although, I have been branching out and trying some recipes. Your recipe looks pretty good and I might even try it but nothing that calls for any kind of vegetable. Even the ones with just fruit and other sweet things are hard for me to take. I am just not into jell-o salads.

Jenny said...

I've NEVER understood the whole vegetables in Jello thing!

Unknown said...

Your recipe looks so yummy! :o) My mother-in-law makes what we lovingly call "the green stuff" with lime jell-o mixed with whipped topping (like cool whip) and cottage cheese. Then you mix in crushed pineapple and nuts - we love pecans ...it sounds odd, but it is really good! I'm sure you know all about variations on this one, though...it seems it can become almost anything! :o)

Anonymous said...

That jello salad sounds good. That is so funny. I had no idea about UTAH liking Jello so much.