Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday Sept 11th (Quick Coffee Cake)






I made this old-fashioned coffee cake the other day. I found the recipe in my new $2 thrift store treasure, All About Home Baking third edition, second printing, 1936. It has the woman's name, address and phone number who owned it hand-written on the inside cover. Phone number is 802... lol The cake was really simple and dense. It's a dough, not a batter, which I thought was interesting. The kids gobbled it down, and ate all the leftovers the next day. It was really delicious and not too sweet. I used whole wheat flour or graham flour as they called it back then :) instead of white, just because we're trying to phase out white flour at our house. It was still fantastic.




Doesn't it have a fun plaid cover?

I like that each recipe has a quick recipe in the top corner box, and then a detailed step-by-step recipe with tips for those that need more help. I love all of the pictures. There are pics of each recipe. They're full of enamel-ware, wooden spoons and milk bottles. I'm sure I'll be posting more pictures and/or recipes from this book.





This card was inside. It's awesome. This book was originally .25 and the coupon expires June 30, 1938. What a cool thing to still have :)

Here's the quick recipe:

My cake was totally done in 20 minutes, so check early :)

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

What an amazing find!!! I'm feeling an incredible urge to go scour the book section of our local D.I. looking for an equally old and wonderful cookbook! That is really just awesome.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I LOVE that cookbook! I actually posted on it awhile ago on my blog. i have my grandma's old copy given her by her home ec teacher. The gingerbread upside-down cake is really yummy@

Carrie said...

Wonderful cookbook!

Corgidogmama~ said...

Old cookbooks are always such a treasure. Thanks too, for the recipe!

Lidian said...

An outstanding find! And the cake looks great, I will have to try that...

Diane said...

What a cute cookbook! I hope that you get many more great recipes from it.

Miri said...

I love old cookbooks and I'll try that recipe tomorrow. Sounds so easy. Thanks

Elizabeth said...

Sounds awesome! What a great book, love that it still has the coupon and the woman's writing.

Vintage Mommy said...

What a treasure! It would be so fun to browse through that cookbook.

REAL ME said...

Cool!!!!!!